Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Benromach

Today's post is going to celebrate yesterday, which was World Whiskey Day and Michael Jackson's (the beer and whiskey critic) birthday. I will do so by covering a whisky that I would probably not have tried, if it were not for my trip across Scotland. This isn't to say that you can't find it in the states, but with the sheer number of whiskies out there, I don't know if I would have gotten to it.


As shown by the above photo, Benromach 10 year is a single malt whisky from the Speyside region of Scotland. 10 year olds are generally the youngest single malt whiskies that you will be able to find, so usually they are a little less refined. Even if you are accustomed to single malts, I wouldn't overlook the 10 year olds, especially the Benromach. You might be pleasantly surprised (not to mention that they are less expensive). 


Benromach 10's flavor profile is not overly different from other whiskies from Speyside. It has a sweet, almost vanilla nose (due to the sherry cask that it is aged in) with only the slightest hint of peat smoke. The vanilla also comes through in the flavor, accented with some subtle dried fruit and very little burn. I could go on for a long time with the flavors, but you have no reason to believe me. Just go try some.

Ok, that's enough of the flavor/nose description and leave it at: Benromach is a very smooth, subtly complex Speyside whisky that is very reasonably priced for how good I think it is. 


One of the reasons why I have a soft spot for Benromach is that I first had it in a quaint little hotel in Aberdeen. Having already had a few whiskies, I was chatting up the bartender with my brother and he suggested Benromach as a "very mature whisky for its age." I wholeheartedly agree with this. It is much smoother than I would expect from a 10 year. 

Maybe this is because it is made (according to them) to be made by 2 men at Speyside's smallest distillery. Whatever the reason behind it, Benromach is still a very good Scottish whisky. I would strongly suggest giving it a shot, especially if you like Speyside malts. 


I'm positive that I have mentioned this before: How much you enjoy your drink (especially whisky) is affected by your environment.

This being said, you should probably surround yourself with good company when you sit down to try your next whisky. (You could always invite me!)

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. You can send me cool photos too, if you like.



No comments:

Post a Comment