Friday, May 18, 2012

Bos Keun

I'm feeling a bit lazy today, so I'll stick to a relatively short post today. Don't let this fool you into thinking that this beer isn't worth your time. Think of it more as I would certainly not do it justice, regardless of how long my post is. With this in mind, I will go about doing my best to describe the beer.


Bos Keun is made by De Dolle Brewers out of Belgium. It is a Belgian Strong Pale Ale that is especially made for the Easter season. It is certainly a potent potable, sitting at 10% ABV. Bos Keun effectively means "rabbit of the wood" in Flemish. Personally, I mostly know Bos Keun as bunny beer. I aged this particular beer for a year and a half. This was probably too long. As a rule of thumb, seasonal beers shouldn't really be kept all that long. This one is a little of an exception, as the ABV will allow the beer to age a little bit easier. The yeast settles out a bit more and you can see this in the photos. Another decent rule of thumb to follow with aging, is that the darker the beer, the longer it can be aged. There are always exceptions, but if you want to play it safe, it isn't bad to follow. 

One of the most striking parts of this beer to me is the nose. It almost smells like bubble gum (from the yeast). While this doesn't necessarily sound appealing, it is, I promise. It also has a ton of fruit aroma in the nose, despite the fact that it isn't made using any fruit. The flavor is a kind of strange mix between refreshing and full body. It can be a little dangerous because it is so potent, yet you can drink it like it is nothing. You will get a bit of alcohol in the taste, but it is pretty fruity and yeasty otherwise. It really isn't one to go for if you love hops, but generally any Belgian isn't going to be your thing either. I really can't do a good job describing the taste apart from this. It is really good though.


I would highly suggest getting it if you ever get the chance. De Dolle beers aren't the easiest to find, so pull the trigger when you are in the position to do so. Any of the De Dolle beers are good options. Not only are they very tasty, the artwork is kick ass. 

Glassware: Tulip, Snifter, Goblet

Synonym Beer: Delirium Tremens (A little more fruit and ester in the Bos Keun)

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html. You can send me cool photos too, if you like and I will make a post up for you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment