Tuesday, June 26, 2012

'Na Biretta Rossa

Another in the line of Italian beers that I tried while over there: 'na biretta rossa. 

I drank this one alongside a nice prosciutto focaccia, which was pretty much my go-to lunch while in Italy. I drank it in a nice little cafe that was virtually a stone's throw from the Colosseum. It was probably a little bit more touristy than I would have wanted, but the food was tasty and they had more Italian beer than Peroni and Moretti, so I was happy. 


I liked the beer almost immediately, not because of the taste, but because I really like the label and the bottle. It is almost, but not quite a snub nose bottle. It is more like an old timey medicine bottle. I also really like the label. It is simple and crisp. Really eye catching too, because the red and silver stand out so clearly from the black background. I kind of like the cap too. 

In case you were wondering, I didn't do anything to the photo. The beer really is that red. The beer is a doppelbock style, which is actually really common in Italy, and I would have to say, one of the styles that they do pretty well. It is 6.3% ABV, which might even be a little low for a doppelbock. It has little to no hops present in both the nose and the taste. Everything about this beer was dominated by the malt. It is a little sweet, tasting a bit like caramel, toffee, and sweet bread. Overall, everything about this beer was subtle. The flavors, while they exist, are not overwhelming in the slightest. They might not even be whelming at all. The booze was pretty much impossible to taste. This was really helpful in keeping the beer nice and refreshing, more so than most doppelbocks. 


To sum up my opinions about this beer: Good, not great. Really refreshing. The presentation may be better than the beer itself though. 

Glassware: Pint, Mug, Stein

Synonym Beer: Moretti La Rossa (but with a bit less flavor)

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html. You can send me cool photos too, if you like and I will make a post up for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment