Thursday, March 21, 2013

Geuze Boon!

Happy Spring! 

Now that Spring is here (although the NY weather disagrees), it is about time that I talk about another one of my favorite warm weather drinks: The Geuze. A Geuze is a type of lambic that is made by blending together young (1 year) and old lambics (2-3 years old), which then undergoes a second fermentation. The wild yeasts that perform the fermentation give the beer a sour, dry taste, with a fine, champagne-like carbonation.  


Oude Geuze Boon is one of the easier to find geuze beers. This by no means indicates that it is lesser in any way, shape, or form. The fun part about Geuze beers is that each brand has a small tweak that sets it apart from the others. Not that any are better than the others, they are just different. Geuze Boon happens to be pretty fruity, but not in the way you might think. It is full of sour apple notes and hints of sour citrus. Apart from these general flavors, everyone will pick up on different smells and flavors. It is kind of the nature of the geuze to be a little hard to pinpoint. Regardless, I love drinking a geuze when it gets warm out because they are light, refreshing and unbelievably addictive. Seriously, when I drink one, I pretty much only want to drink geuezes from then on.  


I would suggest that you drink your geuze first if you are planning a succession of drinks, as the flavors can be really altered by drinking other styles before, especially hoppy ones. Make your geuze experience pure and enjoy it! 

Glassware: Flute, Snifter, Tulip

Synonym Beer: Any geuze, but none will be close enough to call a synonym.

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Find me on Facebook and Twitter (@ofmonksandmalts). You can also buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment