Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Extraomnes Tripel

Here is another one by  Extraomnes. The first one I talked about was basically an American IPA. This one is more of a Belgian Tripel. 


I was a little less impressed by this one, probably because I care about the Tripel style more than the American IPA style. Not that it was bad, but it just wasn't a tripel that I would be looking for. To start off, it was a bit too dark. I can deal with this, because while color most of the time can show some of the flavors of a beer, it doesn't necessarily have to. It is more of an aesthetics thing. I prefer my tripels to be straw-amber. Not a big deal, just a personal preference thing. 

The nose was very pleasant, marked by some fruity esters and malt undertones. The flavor is where it lost me a bit. For a tripel, it was a little flat. Not that it was under carbonated, but it just seemed like something was missing from the taste. At 8.8% ABV, it certainly was not missing alcohol and the booziness of the beer made itself quite known. It was a hot day, so the beer warmed up a bit quicker than expected. This didn't do the tripel any favors. It stayed a little dull and boozy the entire time. Sad, because I was impressed by the Extraomnes Zest. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.  


Glassware: Tulip, Goblet

Synonym Beer: Like a "meh" version of any Belgian Tripel

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Find me on Facebook and Twitter (@ofmonksandmalts). You can also buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html.



No comments:

Post a Comment