Thursday, September 27, 2012

Yeast Hoist and Hoisting Yeast

Yeast Hoist is a limited edition beer put out by St. Sebastiaan Brewery. Well, actually that is a little off. It is a limited edition ceramic bottle with designed artwork on it. The beer inside is supposed to be St. Sebastiaan Golden Ale, although I know a few people that think it tastes different. Whatever the case may be, Yeast Hoist is certainly worth picking up if you happen to see it. 


You might be thinking, "What the hell does yeast hoist mean? Sounds weird..."

That's why I'm here. Yeast Hoist is another term for making a toast (or raising a glass of beer). The etymology comes from English "hoist" which means to lift and the English "yeast" which is a microorganism that is a major component of the brewing process. It is effectively a celebration of beer.  

The beer itself is 7.7% ABV, so you might not want to hoist too many in an evening. The taste, however, does a lot of work to cover up the taste of the booze. It is a very smooth and delicious Belgian tripel. The flavor is a blend of maltiness and fruity esters from the yeast itself. I haven't done my due diligence yet by purchasing a Yeast Hoist and a St. Sebastiaan Golden and drinking them side by side. If I can find Yeast Hoist again, I can guaranty that is what I will do.


One of the cool parts about Yeast Hoist is that after you are done drinking it, the bottle is still perfectly good to use. The low thermal conductivity of of the ceramic makes it able to hold cold liquids cold or hot liquids hot for longer. I'm using it as my water bottle. Bet you didn't think that you could save the environment by drinking beer. Well, you can't, but you can at least pretend. 

Glassware: Tulip, Goblet

Synonym Beer: Corsendonk Abbey Pale Ale

 If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Find me on Facebook and Twitter (@ofmonksandmalts). You can also buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment