Tuesday, October 30, 2012

10 e lode

Today's beer is one that I picked up while in Italy. It didn't have any sort of label, but instead had a small tag around the neck that had some very basic information on it. Since it was all in Italian, here is what I was able to gather from the tag.

Name: 10 e lode
Brewery: Opperbacco
ABV: 9%
Style: Strong Sour


As you can tell, it is a pretty substantially dark beer, a very dark red/brown. There was very little head retention, and the carbonation was on the lower side. I have had a few dark sour beers, so that is really what I was expecting when I poured this. Unfortunately, this was little sweeter. Not that it was necessarily bad, but it was just not what I was expecting. The malty flavor of the beer contrasted interestingly with the tart flavors. I wouldn't say that it was my favorite, but it was certainly a different beer and it was worth a taste. It would be good if you are interested in sours, but don't want to go into the really sour beers to start. Good luck finding it in the States though. 


Generally I really like to know why a beer is named what it is, so I turned to my good friend, Google. Apparently, 10 e lode is the highest grade you can receive in Italian schools. I guess they are just very confident about how the beer tastes.

Glassware: Goblet, Tulip

Synonym Beer: Panil Barriquee (just less tart)

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Find me on Facebook and Twitter (@ofmonksandmalts). You can also buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html.





No comments:

Post a Comment