Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mort Subite Gueuze!

Mort Subite (Sudden Death) is a Cafe Brasserie is Brussels. It is a wonderful little place with a lovely selection of Lambics and a not-so-friendly staff. Still, it is a perfect place to go for a bite to eat and to try some of the beer that is only really available in Belgium. Mort Subite also holds the distinction of being the first place that I tried a Gueuze and sparked my love affair with sour beer. 


This one I found in Rome, but it is not the same as the one I had in Brussels. Well, it is and it isn't. It might technically be the same, but the flavors of the gueuze undoubtedly change in the bottle versus on tap. On tap or in the bottle, if you want to get into gueuzes, but are a little scared of the sour, first work your way in to lighter sour beers. Farmhouse ales are a good place to start. When you have the taste for funk and want to start the geuze train, Mort Subite might be your best first shot. It isn't quite as "gets you behind the jaw" sour as some of the other gueuzes (at least out of the bottle). For most of them, it is kind of like liquifying a Warhead and sipping on it. I mean that in the best way possible. The Mort Subite is a little softer of a flavor. Don't get me wrong, it is still sour, but there was a little more of a balancing sweetness in the beer. It isn't very strong, sitting at 4.5% ABV, but you will still probably have to drink it slow if it is your first one. You might think it is weird at first, but you will get the craving, trust me. 


Just because I am a bit of a sucker for them, I consider the gueuze to be an all weather beer. The best time for a gueuze would probably be on a warm spring day, in Brussels, with your girlfriend. You can drink it elsewhere and at different times, but it won't be the same.

Glassware: Lambic glass, Goblet, Tulip

Synonym Beer: Lindeman's Gueuze

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Find me on Facebook and Twitter (@ofmonksandmalts). You can also buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html.



No comments:

Post a Comment