Thursday, December 6, 2012

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut

If you are from the Pacific Northwest, specifically Portland, or if you have ever left the food network/travel channel on for more than an hour at a time, you have probably heard of Voodoo Doughnuts. They are a small chain of doughnut shops that make what I will call "premium" doughnuts. They are known for making big, delicious, interesting doughnuts. One of the flavors that they are most well known for is the Bacon Maple Doughnut. The minds at Rogue Ales (a well known Oregon brewery) decided to pay homage to Voodoo Doughnuts by immortalizing the Bacon Maple doughnut in a beer. The result: See below.


First of all, brilliant marketing. My initial reaction was somewhere along the lines of, "What? Well I guess I have to try it." I shrugged my shoulders somewhere in there. My brother actually cracked this one open while I was visiting. At the very least it would be interesting, right? Well, that turned out to be very accurate. Maybe some people like this. I don't know. Between my brothers and myself, the most favorable reaction was, "I think it is kind of growing on me." My personal opinion is that there is way too much going on. The first thing that you will notice is the potent, smokey nose. There is a hint of bacon, but overall, I was just getting smoke. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I love rauchbiers (German smoke beers). The flavor is what really got me. At first take, it was as if my beer had been used as an ashtray for the entire night. It really reminded me of cigarettes and I found it hard to drink. At second take, I noticed that there was also an overt sweetness that was not counteracted by the smoke. Instead, the two flavors did battle inside my mouth to see who would be dominant.


Even though this was split among three people. I barley even finished half of my portion. This was certainly a really interesting beer, but I also found that it had zero redeeming qualities. It would probably have been better in a little sample size. With that said, try it if you think it sounds interesting. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean that you won't either.

Glassware: Pint, Tumbler

Synonym Beer: Nope

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Find me on Facebook and Twitter (@ofmonksandmalts). You can also buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html.



No comments:

Post a Comment