Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Boulevard Saison-Brett

Boulevard Brewing keeps on impressing me. I had no idea that there were even a handful of breweries that could make a decent saison in the States. I knew Boulevard made some good tart beers, so I decided to give the Saison Brett a shot. 


If you are confused by the name, Brett refers to Brettanomyces, a genus of yeast that is often used in brewing tart beers and wines. Sometimes Brett can be inadvertently allowed to contact the beer, infecting it and ruining the batch (or making it better, depending on what you like). However, if a bit of sour is desired, adding Brett to your batch can be exactly what you need. Since I like the sour, I'm at the point where if I see a beer label mention Brett, it is purchased. 

With the Saison Brett, Boulevard avoided all of the pitfalls that I generally see with American Saisons. They didn't get exotic with the ingredients. They let the yeast do the talking. It isn't extreme, it is just delicious. It is a little bit of a bigger beer than most Belgian Saisons and stronger, too, sitting at 8.5% ABV. This isn't necessarily a good thing, as one of my favorite saisons is 3.5% ABV, but the Saison Brett makes it work. It is maybe a tad less funky than I would have liked, but it is very tasty.


Boulevard is doing what it can to make Kansas City known for beer more so than that other city in Missouri. 

Glassware: Saison, Tulip

Synonym Beer: Mystic Saison Reynaud 

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Find me on Facebook and Twitter (@ofmonksandmalts). You can also buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html.



No comments:

Post a Comment