Thursday, July 26, 2012

Dunkel Lager and Not Being Afraid of the Dark

Another Slyfox creation: Dunkel Lager. Dunkel is the German word for dark, so it means that the beer is a dark lager. If you have read this before, I have a deep appreciation for lagers in general, but I have a soft spot for dark lagers. 


As you can see by the pictures, by "dark, it doesn't necessarily mean pitch black. It can, but it doesn't need to. It basically means that it is brewed with darker malts. This can result in a number of different outcomes, depending on the particular dark malts used and the amount of the malts used. Even a relatively small amount of dark malt can drastically change the color and taste of a beer. With the German dark lager style, one of the common darker malts used is Cara-Munich malt. This provides a caramel sweetness to the beer, as the name implies. Darker malts can give the roasted coffee, vanilla, and chocolate flavors that can commonly be tasted in stouts. To get to my point, you shouldn't be afraid of a beer just because it is darker. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is strong, heavy, or even really flavorful. Take the German dark lager for instance. It is a little more flavorful than the light lager, but they are generally about the same ABV and in my opinion, they are comparably heavy in body. Don't be afraid of the dark. Try it, you might like it.


The more Sly Fox I buy, the more impressed I am. I don't know why I didn't buy much of it in the past, but I know better now. The Dunkel Lager was a spot-on version of a Munich dark lager. I have to admit that going into this beer I was expecting to be disappointed, only because I love dark lagers and I am used to the German ones, which are the best in the world. How could a brewery from Pennsylvania compete? I'm still not really sure, but one sip and i was back sitting in the Hofbrau Haus in Munich drinking from my liter stein. Seriously, dead on. It has the stereotypical malty sweetness that a Munich Dunkel always has. The carbonation is just right. It is also a beautiful dark amber color, maybe a little bit lighter than most Munich darks, but here's a question: Does the color actually matter if it tastes the same? Regardless, I would gladly pick up some more Dunkel Lager. It is a great beer, that makes me nostalgic for Germany. Also, it comes in a can, which is great for summer drinking.


I also can't get over how much I love the Sly Fox logo too.

Glassware: Mug, Stein, Can

Synonym Beer: Hofbrau Dunkel

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html. You can send me cool photos too, if you like and I will make a post up for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment