Thursday, July 5, 2012

Obolon Premium

Today's beer was purchased on a whim because I don't see beers from the Ukraine on a daily basis and I was curious. Curiosity satisfied. 


Well, many things about this beer are kind of interesting. When you take a trip to the Obolon website, it says, "Not just a beer, but a sence of freedom". Understandable translation spelling error aside, the story behind the "sense of freedom" is pretty interesting. They were the first privatized company to exist in the new, independent Ukraine. Now, well, at least in 2008, Obolon's main plant is Europe's largest beer manufacturing plant. Apparently the company has been very good to the Ukraine, starting youth soccer leagues and sponsoring the Ukraine's senior football club. 


History aside now, let's get to the beer that does so much good. First of all, it is in a green bottle, but does not have a cork in it. Strike one. Understandably so, the beer smelled very skunky was it was poured out of the bottle. Obolon Premium is a Euro pale lager, despite the fact that it says Ale Obolon Premium on the bottle. I think it is probably another one of those translation errors. It is 5.2% ABV, which is about normal for the style. The color was something like a slightly hazy light amber color. The taste was actually quite enjoyable. It reminded me a lot of Pilsner Urquell. Light, slightly hoppy, a little bit of honey flavor, but then it just stopped. The flavor fell off unexpectedly in about 2 seconds. Not that it was a bad beer, I just think that it probably doesn't travel well. If I ever find myself in the Ukraine, I might go and grab one.


Glassware: Mug, Pint, Pilsner Glass

Synonym Beer: Pilsner Urquell (only with less flavor)

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html. You can send me cool photos too, if you like and I will make a post up for you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment