Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Andygator

I was honestly very surprised by this one. I didn't really know what to expect. I know that Abita has a couple beers that I really enjoy, specifically Turbodog (Brown ale), but I didn't know how a Helles Doppelbock would be. I've never had one before, how could I? 

As you may know, a Doppelbock is a dark, heavy German lager. I think this has more in common with the Maibock, which are traditionally as strong as Doppelbocks, but with a lighter color and less heavy flavor. 


Andygator was very pleasant. It was largely dry, but had a sweet finish that you would associate with bocks. The malts and hops used are perfect for recreating a German style. It is a tad heavy on the alcohol for my tastes. You do get a little bit of booziness in the flavor, but that is more of a reflection on the style than the beer, I think. It would be a nice beer to share on a cool summer night. This is one that I will definitely be buying in the future. 

Glassware: Stein, Pilsner glass

Synonym Beer: Victory St. Boisterous 

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Find me on Facebook and Twitter (@ofmonksandmalts). You can also buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment