Thursday, June 13, 2013

J.W. Lees Harvest 2005 (Lagavulin)

I am a big fan of Lagavulin 16 Year Scotch Whisky. Naturally, when I saw a beer that had been aged in Lagavulin casks, I jumped at the opportunity, regardless of the fact that it was about $17 for a 9.3 oz bottle. This is one of those beers that I am happy to have tried it, but I don't think I will be going back for seconds. 


I'm not sure what it was about this beer that I didn't particularly love. It could be that it is a Barelywine, a style that I don't particularly care for. It could be that it was aged for about 8 years by the time that I consumed it. It was just too sweet for me. There wasn't nearly enough Lagavulin for me to justify the amount of money I spent on such a small bottle. I am glad that I only gave myself a 2 oz tasting (I split it with my family). It was boozy and sweet, which in combination, is really unpleasant to me. I will be open to trying this again, provided it is on the younger side and the price is substantially less. Maybe my palate isn't refined enough for a beer this style. What I do know is that I didn't understand this beer and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Never pretend to like a beer that you don't. There is no reason to do that. 

Glassware: Snifter

Synonym Beer: Couldn't tell you. 

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Find me on Facebook and Twitter (@ofmonksandmalts). You can also buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment