Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Breckenridge 471 Double IPA

Certain IPAs are wonderfully balanced. This is a skill that not every brewery has, or even wants, for that matter. It takes very little skill to make a strong beer that is very heavy on the hops. Fortunately for the producers of those beers, some people actually like that. Given the fact that I run into so many unbalanced IPAs, it was a real treat to find Breckenridge 471 Double IPA.


471 is a good deal easier drinking than it probably should be. Since it is 9.2% ABV, you should be a bit careful that you don’t down it too quick, and you might want to think about whether or not you want to drink a few in one sitting. The beer itself is really nice. It is jammed full of hop aroma and flavor. The bitterness is cut by a light sweetness from the malt. You will get some nice citrusy notes and a hint of booziness, but nothing strong enough to offend me.


It doesn’t pack the insane punch that many DIPAs do. I would put it somewhere in between IPA and DIPA, tending toward the IPA side in terms of flavor. I personally found it to be a great beer and one that I would choose over a lot of other DIPAs. If you like your hops, give it a shot.

Glassware: Pint, Snifter

Synonym Beer: Saranac Imperial IPA

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Find me on Facebook and Twitter (@ofmonksandmalts). You can also buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment