Monday, April 9, 2012

Heavy Seas Black IPA

Today's short post is on Heavy Seas Black Cannon, a black IPA. For those of you that don't know and don't have the capacity to extrapolate on the name, it is a darker, maltier version of an IPA. If you have never tried one, I would suggest giving them a shot. 


Personally, I am a big fan for the black IPA style. The hops are generally a little more subdued than in a standard IPA, and the upfront dark malt does a good job of balancing out the flavor. Sometimes, black IPA can be a little overwhelming, especially towards the end of the glass, when the beer is getting a little warmer. The nice thing that I found about Black Cannon is that I liked it enough to make sure that it never got to that point. 


Black Cannon is 7.5% ABV, a little stronger than one might expect with an IPA. It doesn't really taste boozy at all, as the flavor is enough to keep it hidden. The taste itself isn't very complex. This doesn't mean that I disliked it, but rather that it was straight forward. You can clearly taste the hop. You can clearly taste the malt. It goes down a little too easy for its ABV, but has enough taste to satiate a wider variety of beer drinker. Hop Head and Malties (a word that I totally didn't just make up to describe people who prefer malty beers) alike will enjoy the flavor. It has something for everyone.   


I haven't tried too much from Heavy Seas, and to be honest I was a little wary since I felt the pirate theme was a little kitschy. I don't know, I don't really trust breweries that go to great lengths to have a theme for all of their beers. It makes me feel like it is a gimmick to get me to buy the beer. Black Cannon restored my faith in Heavy Seas, at the very least. 

Glassware: Pint glass, Mug

Synonym Beer: Blue Point Toxic Sludge

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. You can send me cool photos too, if you like.



No comments:

Post a Comment