Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Innis & Gunn Irish Whiskey Cask

I am shocked and appalled at myself for not doing a post on Innis & Gunn yet. I first became acquainted with I&G while studying abroad in Scotland. The owners were doing a tasting in a local liquor store, so I got a chance to try a bunch of their beer and chat with the guys. What is interesting about I&G, is that their focus is less on different styles, and more on different oak. 


The business model of I&G is to have their beer contract brewed for them, then age the beer for different amounts of time in different casks. The casks will impart a whole variety of flavors to the beer. What is great about I&G is that they release a new beer about every season. This particular beer was the first stout that I have seen from them. It was bitier, rather than creamy, which I can certainly deal with and in fact, sometimes prefer. The use of an Irish whiskey cask imparted a whole range of flavors to the beer that I can't even begin to explain. Effectively, the purpose of this post is to spread the word. Innis & Gunn produced a large variety of oak aged beer with casks and styles to please everyone. If you are looking for something out of the ordinary, I would strongly suggest you give them a shot. 


Oddly enough, their standard beer is my least favorite because it is too sweet (by far the sweetest one they have).

Glassware: Tulip, Snifter

Synonym Beer: Hard to say, they are some of the more unique beers that I have tried. 

If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Find me on Facebook and Twitter (@ofmonksandmalts). You can also buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html.








No comments:

Post a Comment