Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Scaldis and Changing Palates

I used to love Scaldis, also known as Bush Ambrée. It was one of the first Belgian beers that I liked. It isn't all that expensive either (when compared to other Belgian beers). It was the best of both worlds at the time, cheap and delicious.


Well, I guess actually the best of 3 worlds. The alcohol content is 12% ABV, so it packs a serious wallop. Throughout college, the goal was to get drunk. I still wanted to get drunk with my friends, but I wanted to do it in a classier, more delicious way. Scaldis was effectively tailor made for this purpose. First of all, it is a Strong Belgian Pale Ale. It is very tasty, good and malty, but with subtle hops rounding it out. The booziness is abundantly apparent, but sometimes I really like when I can taste the alcohol. The cherry on top of the sunday is that Scaldis isn't all that heavy in body. I could (and did) drink more than one of these guys in a sitting. It absolutely will get you drunk. 

As I have refined my palate, the booziness is a little less appealing. I also don't want to get staggering drunk off of like 3 beers, so I have to plan my moments with Scaldis carefully. I still like it, but I think I have outgrown the love affair that I used to have with it. I would still suggest it as beginner Belgian, as it has a lot of the characteristics that I like and is quite approachable. 

Glassware: Tulip, Goblet, Snifter

Synonym Beer: Gulden Draak


If you want me to look at a particular beer, drink, place, or have anything to say to me, email me at monksandmalts@gmail.com. Find me on Facebook and Twitter (@ofmonksandmalts). You can also buy my pictures here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/robert-rizzolo.html.











No comments:

Post a Comment